We all desire a healthy and beautiful smile. Unfortunately, decay, gum disease, aging, or injury can leave us missing one or more teeth. Having gaps in your mouth not only affects the aesthetics of your smile, it can also leave the surrounding teeth in your mouth vulnerable to other dental problems. At Dr. Sheldon Seidman’s Chicago cosmetic dentistry practice, dental implants are offered as a solution for those who are missing one or more teeth.
Dental implants are used to fill in the gap left by a missing tooth or teeth. Dental implants are tiny titanium screws that are surgically placed in the jawbone. These implants are meant to act as replacement tooth roots. Once the implants are in place, they are used as anchors for artificial teeth. Dr. Seidman offers restorative dentistry options to be used along with dental implants. The restorations used with dental implants include dental crowns, dental bridges, and dentures.
- Dental crowns: A dental crown is a replacement tooth that is placed over a post (or an abutment) that is attached to the dental implant. Crowns are usually made of porcelain or ceramic material and are made to match the color of your natural teeth.
- Dental bridge: A dental bridge is generally used for groups of two or three missing teeth. A bridge consists of two crowns (secured to dental implants) on either side of the gap and artificial teeth in between. The center piece of a dental bridge looks like natural teeth but is made of one solid piece.
- Dentures: Implant-supported dentures are permanently attached to strategically placed implant posts. Because the dentures cannot be removed, many of the disadvantages associated with removable dentures are eliminated. Implant-supported dentures are stable and do not require use of dental adhesives. This treatment is an excellent option for patients that are missing all of their teeth.
Benefits of Dental Implants
For our patients in Chicago, dental implants are a popular choice for restorative dentistry because they offer many benefits.
- Dental implants do not affect your surrounding teeth. While other dental procedures may require grinding down of surrounding teeth, which may be perfectly healthy, this is not the case with a dental implant.
- Dental implants maintain the structure of your mouth. Gaps in your mouth can cause the surrounding teeth to bend in or collapse. The jawbone can also be weakened if a large gap is present. Dental implants preserve the structure of your mouth and can prevent further dental problems.
- Dental implants are convenient to care for. Dental implants are secured to your jawbone and can be cared for just as your natural teeth. There is no need for special care or cleaning as with removable dentures.
- Dental implants are reliable. Dental implants have been used for more than fifty years and have a high success rate with patients. With proper care and maintenance, dental implants can last a lifetime.
Schedule an Appointment
Don’t let missing teeth compromise the health or beauty of your smile. Dr. Seidman can determine if you are a candidate for dental implants. If you can benefit from this procedure, Dr. Seidman will make sure you are in the best hands and will customize a plan for dental care that will restore the beauty of your smile and have you walking out our door filled with confidence. Schedule an appointment today.